As your parents or other relatives become older, the topic of caring for them and keeping them safe becomes a concern. Of course, there are lots of great retirement homes around, but many elderly relatives want to remain in their own home or move in with their children, rather than into a retirement home. Regardless of where they live, make sure they’re safe with video monitoring in Four Corners.
As people age, the more likely they are to fall at home. So ensuring that our older relatives are safe at home is essential for their quality of life. There are a lot of changes that have to be made when a person ages because their mobility can become an issue.
This is where video monitoring in Four Corners can be a huge benefit because it allows you to keep in touch with your relatives and keep them safe. This will make a big difference to your stress levels and reassure them that you will see if they are in trouble even if they can’t get to a phone to call you.
Apart from installing video monitoring in Four Corners here are more tips to help keep your elderly relatives safe at home.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in every room of the home and check the batteries regularly.
- Have a clear escape route in case of a fire and a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
- Make sure that there is sufficient lighting on the stairs inside and outside on the patio, garage, porch and garden paths.
- If you have an open fireplace or a log burner in your home, make sure that it is safely behind a fireguard.
- Install nightlights that go on and off when they detect motion.
- Declutter the floor spaces, so your elderly relative won’t trip easily.
- Place non-slip mats in bathrooms and around the skin in the kitchen.
- Install bars and grab handles in the shower and around the bathtub.
- Find a sturdy and waterproof chair, bench or stool that will fit in the shower.
- Make sure you store needed items on low shelves.
- Make any threshold level, if possible, to avoid falls in the home.
- Reposition any electrical cords that drape along the floors.
- Install external ramps for entryways if the steps are a problem.
- Create a covered walkway between the garage and house, so they don’t slip in the rain.
- Replace worn or torn carpets or rugs.
With video monitoring in Four Corners, you can keep an eye on your loved ones in case they fall or injure themselves in some other way. Yes, you can use the phone, but being able to SEE that they are safe will reduce your stress when they are home alone.
To make sure your elderly relatives are safe at home you need specific features with your video monitoring in Four Corners. To make sure you have exactly what you need, call our office today to schedule a consultation.